A weight loss plateau occurs when a considerable amount of weight has to be lost. This occurs during the middle of the weight loss journey or towards the near end when you are just about to consolidate your last weight loss gains.
A weight loss plateau is a frustrating time when you constantly put effort to lose weight but you are not able to. This can be very frustrating for many people. But the best advice is to keep your efforts high and revise your approach with a little tweaking.
Causes Of Weight Loss Plateau
There can be a number of reasons that may contribute to a weight loss plateau. For breaking this plateau, it is pertinent to know the cause which could be any of these listed below.
- Fewer calories burned – The basic reason for this occurrence is simple. As you have lost weight, the body becomes much lighter than before, so the calories burned will reduce.
- Occasional food cravings – A person starts giving in to occasional food cravings once they have lost some weight. This mars the weight loss effort leading to a weight loss plateau.
- A renewed push is needed – Overtime effort that we put to achieve weight loss may not be as strong as it was in the beginning. A renewed push is needed to break the barrier.
- Occasional breaks from exercise – Upon seeing some results sometimes people start taking occasional breaks from the exercise routine. This reduces calories burnt, and reduces weight loss.
The most simple reason for getting into a weight loss plateau is that there is not sufficient calorie deficit. If the number of calorie intake is more or equal to body’s requirement, then fat loss will not occur.
To burn adequate fat on a daily basis, you should have at least 15-20% calorie or energy deficit every day. This means you should eat about 20% or one-fifth less than how much you are supposed to eat.
How To Break Weight Loss Plateau
It takes about 1 week to 10 days to find out if you have a weight loss plateau. You can find this out only if you track your weight every day twice in the mornings and evenings.
Once you find out, that you aren’t losing any more weight, you should analyze the reasons for this pause in weight loss. The above reasons may be singularly responsible or may work in combination.
The best approach to breaking a weight loss plateau is to use a multi-pronged strategy. Use all of the solutions provided below together to have the maximum weight loss impact. This ensures greater success than ever before. The solutions are below.
- Curb calorie intake – The most important solution is to control your food intake. Cut calorie intake by 15-20% every day to start seeing immediate weight loss results.
- Increase exercise – Increase exercises done by 10% every day. This will give additional results in 3-4 days.
- Stop occasional food cravings – Food cravings tend to add huge useless calories that destroy your weight loss efforts. Stop it immediately till your goals are achieved.
- Stop sugary creamy cheesy foods – Stop all foods that have even a hint of sugar, cream or contain cheese. These are absolutely fattening.
- Stop excess salt intake – Salty foods increase salt intake. Salt increases the water retention in the body thereby increasing the weight for no good reason.
As I talked above use all these methods together to break the weight loss plateau most successfully. These will increase your weight loss rate by at least 50%.
In case you are new to weight loss or have had significant weight loss failures before or are looking at losing 20 pounds or more, Read My Guide – How To Lose 20 Pounds In 2 Weeks. It will help you to fire your weight loss with immediately visible results.
To lose weight successfully, you should have a Weighing Scale at home. I recommend This Smart Weighing Scale, it comes with a mobile app that tracks your daily weight, body fat, and BMI. Very helpful in losing weight. Get it here.
Weight Loss Plateau- What Is It? How To Beat It?
Learn about Weight Loss Plateau, what causes it and how to beat it successfully. This approach is time tested and used by millions worldwide.