|The Coca Cola ingredients list has faced increasing scrutinisation over the years, much due to increasing public awareness over the years. This does, in general, include the other soda drinks such as Pepsi and others. Now most people consume these drinks for taste and rehydration. Since 80 - 90% of a drink contains water, most people assume it to be as safe as water for consumption.
About 50% of Americans drink 2.5 glasses of coke or soft drinks daily, which makes it imperative for one to know coca cola ingredients or chemicals in fizzy drinks. A 12-ounce soda contains more than 10 teaspoons of sugar, which we wouldn't normally eat. Sugary soft drinks like sodas, juice blends and energy drinks are bad choices for health for many reasons.The soft drinks manufacturers have tried to maintain the secrecy of ingredients such as coca cola ingredients or pepsi ingredients used for a long time. Slowly these ingredients in coke are getting known, and also their harmful effects on the body. Some of these coca cola ingredients or other chemical found in soft drinks are produced via shady manufacturing processes, while others themselves have known health damaging ingredients. Over the years, to maintain taste, color, addiction, profitability these companies have moved from natural ingredients to chemicals.
Coca Cola Ingredients And Chemicals Found In Soft Drinks
- High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) - HFCS is known to cause obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, premature aging and other adverse health effects. Research suggests HFCS is much worse than regular cane sugar and can be addictive too.
- 4-MEI - it is a coloring chemical, but also a potential carcinogenic called 4-methylimidazole. An estimated 3 micrograms or less per can should be safe for consumption.
- Caffeine - caffeine is safe in normal usage, but at higher consumption levels one would be consuming large amounts of caffeine, which can be dangerous, or would lead to restlessness, sleeplessness, sleep pattern disruption, increased anxiety, hyperactivity and stomach problems.
- Bisphenol-A (BPA) - Coca-Cola and others use BPA to line aluminum soda cans, despite proven research it can cause problems during fetal development and reduce fertility by affecting the reproductive system.
- Phosphoric Acid - phosphoric acid decreases calcium absorption, softens bones and teeth and is known to cause osteoporosis. This is not only part of coca cola ingredients but other fizzy drinks too.
- Sodium Cyclamate - though not in use US since 1970's, but found in Coke Zero sold in Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Venezuela, Chile and some Central American countries.
- Addictive Ingredients like Cocaine: Coca-Cola is the only legal US Corporation that imports coca leaves through a coca processing lab known as the Stepan Company.
- Aborted fetuses cells for flavor enhancer: the HEK 293 is another name for aborted human kidney cells for artificial flavour enhancing.
Benefits Of Water
- Zero Calories - water doesn't lead to any intake of calories. It means you can consume water in ample amount without danger of getting fat. Excess is removed by the body as sweat and urine mostly.
- Zero Added Chemicals - since water is basically itself without any added chemicals, it free of any additives and hence doesn't carry any risk of getting health problems like one would get from coca cola ingredients.
- Nutrient Absorption - water helps in proper nutrient absorption, leading to better energy release.
- Toxin Removal - helps the body to flush out toxins, through sweat and urine.
- Healthy Skin - helps keep skin healthy and fresh looking. Cleanses with sweat and hydrates skin via a bath.
- Oxygen Distribution - good hydration levels allow for better oxygen distribution by blood through the body.
The following infographic summarises the battle of Cola vs Water to show the right choice for hydration.
- Weight Loss - drinking water before meals gives a more fuller feeling allowing less food intake, to aid in weight loss.